- Big Ben
- nounclock in the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament, London• Instance Hypernyms: ↑clock
* * *the bell in the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament in London, England.[1890-95]
* * *Big Ben noun1. The bell in the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament, London2. The tower itself3. The clock itself• • •Main Entry: ↑big
* * *Big Ben UK USa large bell in the tower next to the Houses of Parliament in London, on which there is a clock. This name is often used for referring to the tower or its clock. http://www.macmillandictionary.com/med2cd/weblinks/big-ben.htmThesaurus: clocks, watches and instruments that measure timehyponym parts of clocks and watchesmeronym
* * *Big Ben,1. a huge bell in the clock tower of the Parliament building in London.2. Informal. the clock itself.
* * *the great clock tower of the Houses of Parliament in London and its bell
* * *Big Ben [Big Ben]the bell in the clock tower of the British ↑Houses of Parliament. Its sound is well known because it has often been used in films, and it is used on British television and radio to introduce news broadcasts. Many people think wrongly that Big Ben is the name of the clock, or of the tower itself.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Big Ben — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Imagen del Big Ben. Big Ben es el nombre con que se conoce a la Gran campana de Westminster, la mayor de las campanas que se encuentran dentro de la Torre y que forman parte del Gran Reloj de Westminster, a … Wikipedia Español
Big Ben — es el nombre familiar que se le da a la torre del reloj del Palacio de Westminster en Londres, así como la gran campana que alberga. Esta torre se encuentra al noroeste del palacio, y contiene tanto la campana como el gran reloj que la preside. * … Enciclopedia Universal
Big Ben — Big Ben, the famous bell in the Clock Tower that strikes the hour over the British Houses of Parliament and is sounded by the British Broadcasting Company throughout the world, was originally cast in 1856. But the fifteen ton bell showed a… … Dictionary of eponyms
Big Ben — (izg. bìg bèn) m DEFINICIJA glasoviti sat koji se od 1859. nalazi na I krilu zgrade britanskog parlamenta, poznat po svojoj točnosti i zvonu od trinaest tona (dizajn i projekt Edmund Beckett) ETIMOLOGIJA engl … Hrvatski jezični portal
Big Ben — the large bell in the tower of the ↑Houses of Parliament in London, which rings regularly to tell the time … Dictionary of contemporary English
Big Ben — a large bell in the tower next to the Houses of Parliament in London, England, on which there is a clock. This name is often used for referring to the tower or its clock … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Big Ben — clock in the Parliament tower in London, generally said to have been named for Sir Benjamin Hall (1802 1867), first Chief Commissioner of Works, under whose supervision the bell was cast … Etymology dictionary
Big Ben — n. 1. the great bell in the Parliament clock tower in London 2. the clock in this tower 3. the tower itself … English World dictionary
Big Ben — For other uses, see Big Ben (disambiguation). Big Ben is i … Wikipedia
Big Ben — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Big Ben (homonymie). Big Ben … Wikipédia en Français
Big Ben — Uhrturm … Deutsch Wikipedia